Delicious Moist Poppy Seed Cake
Hi everyone! Today I am going to show you my recipe for Delicious Moist Poppy Seed Cake. It is a great place to start! I know, I know, it sounds lame, but I really don't need any more excuses. Since I am new to baking, I have been using this recipe for many months now. I love it so much that I just made it for my birthday last year. I decided to make this recipe for my birthday. I used a generous amount of peanut butter, brown sugar, baking soda and baking powder. It just goes great with any sundae. I'm not saying this is a bad recipe for a birthday cake, but I am just not sure how to make it with some peanut butter.
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 4 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/8 cups white sugar
- 1 1/3 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Stir together the flour, salt, lemon zest and poppy seeds using a wire whisk. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Then stir in the dry ingredients. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 to 75 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- To make the syrup, combine 3/4 cup sugar with the lemon juice in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, then remove from heat and set aside to cool. When the cake is done, place the pan on a wire rack with a cookie sheet underneath. Prick the top of the cake several times with a toothpick or fork. Brush the top of the cake with the syrup, allowing lots of it to run down the sides and soak into the cake.
- Allow cake to cool slightly before removing from the pan to the wire rack to cool completely. When completely cooled, wrap the cake if foil or heavy plastic wrap and let it sit for 1 day before serving.